Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Component Selection: Samples are the Key

Today I found out what was important in a manufacturing company: samples.

I have been trying to get samples for about a week from a company producing a candidate LNA for a project of mine.  But for some reason I just can't get a sample.  I've tried everything.  It's not like the part is $250.  These are $10 parts.  But when I tried to get samples from ATC and Coilcraft they gave them to me joyfully!  And I mean joyfully.  They told me, that anything I needed, they'll get it to me.  Isn't that something?!  I've come to realize that a relationship with a company is really more important than the products.  Why? Because those that will give you samples are willing to make their components better for the sake of sales.  They are willing to have upfront losses for future business.  That's why I judge a company by whether or not they give me samples.

So as a suggestion, if you work in industry (not a student, or hobbyist) judge a company on whether or not they'll give you samples.  Now note, they don't have to give all the samples you want to be good, just one or two to test for yourself.  If they do this, they are good enough to buy from.  I promise...

------------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment